Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ebonics

This is so silly that it can't really be taken seriously. I began to laugh, and once I did I couldn't stop for a while. It's a bit reminiscent of a Boondocks episode.

"I can't say it's spoken all the time, like Spanish and Vietnamese," Sanders said. "But there are people trying to use this to evade detection" while trafficking in drugs, he said.

Asked whether agency currently has agents who can translate Ebonics, Sanders said some who have worked on local police forces can help pick out words on wiretaps.

The term "Ebonics" -- a blend of "ebony" and "phonics" -- became known in 1996, when the Oakland, California, Unified School District proposed using it in teaching English. After the school board came under fire, it voted to alter the plan, which recognized Ebonics as a distinct language.



Read the article here

I mean...I don't know why they don't just look at this video. It's the Rosetta Stone of the hood no?


No comments:

Post a Comment